There are 2 rounds in the TJHSST admission process: semi final & final round. We counsel and guide you from the initial process all the way to the final round.
Semifinal Round is on November 18, 2017!
Criteria for Semifinalist Pool Determination:
- GPA of at least 3.0 in 7th Grade and 8th Grade 1st Q (core subjects)
- 50th Percentile on Math-Quant Q
- 75th Percentile on Reading-Aspire
- 75th Percentile on Science-Aspire
- And one of the following: 75th Percentile on Quant Q or 90th Percentile on Science-Aspire
Final Round is on February 3, 2018!
Criteria for the Final Round:
- Math Problem Solving Essay and Student-Authored Information Sheet
- Teacher Recommendations (Average of 2)
- Admissions Test Scores, 7th and 8th grade (1st & 2nd Q) Math and Science Grade Point Average + 4 Core Subjects in 7th grade and 1st/2nd Quarters of 8th grade.
“Poor test preparation and lack of test-wiseness results in test scores that do not accurately reflect the students’ knowledge and aptitude.” (Scruggs and Mastroprierri, 2000)
All our TJ test preparation courses are taught by licensed teachers specializing in Math, Science & Reading.
Free Writing Sample and STEM Extra-Curricular Activities Analysis
We have helped several students get admitted to TJHSST and we have seen several STEM extra curricular activities that are common to successful TJHSST applicants.
GPA, Reading-Aspire, Science-Aspire and Math-Quant Q test scores, strong writing skills and the passion and commitment for STEM are all crucial. But once your child become a semifinalist, one of the strongest differentiators is the STEM extra curricular activities along with strong writing skills.
Take the free writing sample analysis, Student-Authored SIS Diagnostic, and upload your child’s STEM extra-curricular activities from 6th to 8th grade for a free consultation. Scroll down and click on “Courses”.
Featuring the New Set of TJ Tests: Math, Science & Reading
- Test-Taking Strategies: Develop time-management skills and organizational skills.
- Realistic Practice: Get a feel of how the real test would look like in a simulated-testing environment on a content developed by our own team of licensed teachers.
- Progress Monitored: Track your progress on specific topics and areas though quizzes, timed practice tests and four full-length practice tests based.
- Individualized: Tailored to your score goals, strengths and needs. Instructions are adapted to your child’s learning needs.
- Unmatched expertise: Learn from the best licensed teachers specializing in Math, Reading & Science.
- Additional Resources: Counseling on the TJ Final Round Process and the complexity of the Teacher Recommendations. We have developed a support system that helped our successful applicants in the past to get into the final round! We will honestly give you an assessment where your child’s skills are compared to the average norm, and if your child’s skills would be suitable for a rigorous STEM school.
The new TJ admissions tests changed! Both Science and Reading Aspire have multiple choice and constructed response items.
Reading -Aspire has a time limit of 65 minutes. It has a total of 32 questions divided into the following categories:
- Key Ideas and Details
- Craft and Structure
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
Science- Aspire has a time limit of 60 minutes. It has a total of 40 questions divided into the following categories:
- Interpretation of Data
- Scientific Investigation
- Evaluation of Models, Inferences and Experimental Results
Quant Q has a time limit of 50 minutes. It has a total of 28 questions divided into the following categories:
- Pattern Recognition
- Probability Combinatorics
- Out-of-the-Box Algebra
- Geometry and Optimization
Click below on the courses that we offer for TJHSST applicants.