Reflective Essay for TJ, AOS & AET applicants
- All TJHSST semifinalists will be tested with reflective essay and math problem solving essay in the final round on February 3, 2018.
- All AOS semifinalists will be tested with reflective essay and expository essay in the second round of admissions.
- The only qualifying exam for AET applicants are the essays given to their respective middle schools on the first week of December. AET applicants need to be equipped in writing reflective and expository essay.
Do you know how to choose your extracurricular activities and accomplishments and align them with the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology, Academy of Science’s and Academy of Engineering & Technology’s mission and beliefs?
Learn how to write a powerful Student Information Sheet (SIS) and a personal statement. We confer with students individually to help them reflect on their achievements and activities. We teach using the authentic writing workshop process. This will prepare your students beyond the TJ test. It will enhance their writing skills.
The TJ & AOS admissions process is somewhat similar to college application. Your child will go through the same process when they apply for summer internships, scholarships, and college applications. The strategies that your student will learn from this will definitely go beyond the TJ admissions.
Some of the things you will learn:
- Analyze the TJ SIS general scoring criteria
- Analyze some SIS drafts of our past successful TJ semifinalists
- How to highlight your strengths, and use your limitations as strengths
- How to create a “niche” and highlight your uniqueness as an individual
- Distinguish differences between the “laundry list” and the details of your extracurricular activities
- How to make decisions on which activities to highlight
- Ideas, organization, voice, word choice, and sentence fluency flow of your personal statement
- How to answer short essay questions similar to college admission essays
- Strategies on writing quality essays in 30 minutes
- How to write quality essays in two hours (1650 characters or 380 words)
Please bring a laptop, a notebook and list of activities/resume. Other than STEM activities, semifinalists need to have good writing skills. They need to learn which activities to highlight in the SIS.
Mondays at 7:15-8:45pm, Aug 7, 14, 21 & 28 2017
Sundays at 3:30-5:00pm
Month 1 – Sept 10, 17, 24 & Oct 1, 2017
Month 2 – Oct 8, 15, 22 & 29, 2017
Month 3 – Nov 5, 12, 19 & 26, 2017
Month 4 – Dec 3, 10, 17 & 31, 2017
Month 5 – Jan 7, 14, 21 & 28, 2018
Fees must be paid in full at the time of enrollment to avail of the discounted price. Maximum of 12 students per class. Bring a fully charged laptop in classes at all times.
$280 per month
$535 for 2 months ($25 savings)
$765 for 3 months ($75 savings)
$1000 for 4 months ($120 savings)
$1200 for 5 months ($200 savings)