This course is designed to help students craft their personal statements and essays for college applications, scholarships, and internships. Students will meet in small groups with the instructor for a minimum of two sessions. The instructor will walk the student through the writing process and work on the writing skills that need refining. Students will write under the guidance of the instructor as well as independently. The student will present drafts for feedback and revisions.
While this course focuses on the college application, the refinement of skills is an investment in lifelong writing. One or all of the elements of writing may be emphasized depending upon the individual student’s skills and the requirements of the writing assignment.
Students will learn how to:
- Choose the theme of their writing that reflects qualities they want to emphasize
- Write a cohesive, well-organized and memorable personal statement
- Craft their essays to show depth and critical thinking
- Describe their extra-curricular activities to present the image they want to project
These are the areas of writing which the teacher will be working on with the student:
- Ideas – must come from the student’s own research and thoughts about the topic.
- Organization – will depend on the type of writing.
- Voice – is the writer’s personal expression of ideas through the writing.
- Word choice – means the right word for the precise meaning to be conveyed.
- Sentence fluency – is about the way sentences are connected throughout the writing.
- Conventions or the mechanics – relate to grammatical structures.
Things to bring in class: fully charged laptop, Gmail account, and printed copy or electronic document of essay questions, prompts, and requirements for personal statements.
Individual Counseling Rate (by appointment)
$125 – for 1 hour
$450 — for 4 hours ($50 savings)
$895 — for 8 hours ($105 savings)
$1,350 — for 12 hours ($150 savings)
Group Class (maximum of 6 students only); Sunday at 4:30-5:30pm
$ 65 – for 1 hour
$235 – for 4 hours ($25 savings)
$465 – for 8 hours ($55 savings)
$695 – for 12 hours ($85 savings)
College essay drafts need to start in the summer of 11th grade. Upload one of your drafts for a free analysis or answer one of the essay prompts on our website, for free. Learn more.