Math Video Game Challenge (Gr 6 to 8)
The Math Video Challenge empowers students to take their math and problem-solving skills to the next level with a creative video project. Students work together in teams of 4 to create a video that explains the solution to a MATHCOUNTS handbook problem and demonstrates a real-world application of the mathematics concept explored in the problem. Combining art, writing, math, acting and technology, this program makes learning math interactive and fun for all students. Plus, students can win great prizes for participating and advancing in the contest. Math – Camera – Action!
Math Video Challenge teams can add music, videos, sound effects, images and any other audiovisual materials to their video, but that content must:
- be entirely original, created and performed by the members of the team, or
- be an original performance of works that are in the public domain, or
- allow royalty-free use of the material with no restrictions.
Learn more about the competition rules.
Join us to form a team to compete or you may opt to just take this for fun and math enrichment! This course is for students who love math and hate math!
Critical Dates for 2018-2019
- September 2018-March 2019: Program Registration + Video Submission Open
- February 12, 2019: Suggested Deadline for Video Submissions
- March 1, 2019: Promo Prize Pack Deadline for Video Submissions
- March 14, 2019: Final Deadline for Video Submissions
- March 18, 2019: Top 100 Videos Announced
- March 25, 2019: 20 Semifinalist Videos Announced
- April 1, 2019: 4 Finalist Videos Announced
- May 11-14, 2019: 2019 Raytheon MATHCOUNTS National Competition in Orlando, FL
YSC Math Video Game Challenge will meet three times a month on Sundays from 9:00 am to 10:30 am
Month 1 – Sept 16, 23 & 30, 2018
Month 2 – Oct 7, 14 & 28, 2018
Month 3 – Nov 4, 11 & 25, 2018
Month 4 – Dec 2, 9 & 16, 2018
Month 5 – Jan 6, 13 & 20, 2019
Month 6 – Jan 26, Feb 3 & 10, 2019
Fee is $385 per month whether your student is competing or not. Inculcate the love for math by participating in this fun collaborative club. Bring your own laptop/Macbook.