Reflective Essay Guide
Do you know how to choose your extracurricular activities and accomplishments and align them with the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology, Academy of Science’s and Academy of Engineering & Technology’s mission and beliefs?
Learn how to write a powerful Student Information Sheet (SIS) and a personal statement. We confer with students individually to help them reflect on their achievements and activities. We teach using the authentic writing workshop process. This will prepare your students beyond the TJ test. It will enhance their writing skills.
The TJ & AOS admissions process is somewhat similar to college application. Your child will go through the same process when they apply for summer internships, scholarships, and college applications. The strategies that your student will learn from this will definitely go beyond the TJ admissions.
Some of the things you will learn:
- Analyze some essay drafts of our past successful TJ semifinalists
- How to highlight your strengths, and use your limitations as strengths
- How to create a “niche” and highlight your uniqueness as an individual
- Distinguish differences between the “laundry list” and the details of your extracurricular activities
- How to make decisions on which activities to highlight
- Ideas, organization, voice, word choice, and sentence fluency flow of your personal statement
- How to answer short essay questions similar to college admission essays
- Strategies on writing quality essays in 30 minutes