TJ Reading Intensive
Learn how to “Read Like a Writer” to ace the TJ Reading -Aspire test!
- Learn reading strategies that you need for life!
- Write constructed responses with analytical perspectives
- Invest in your reading comprehension skills
- Learn time saving techniques for reading long and paired passages
- Learn how to read different genres that will appear in the Reading Aspire TJ tests
- Develop your writer’s lens and boost your English GPA and other core subjects (Science and Social Studies)
- Develop your critical thinking skills and ace other future tests, i.e. PSAT, SAT and ACT
The Reading Aspire has a time limit of 65 minutes. It has a total of 32 questions divided into the following categories:
- Key Ideas and Details
- Craft and Structure
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
We have developed our own materials that simulate the TJ Reading-Aspire test.
TJ Reading Friday Nights at 7:00-9:00pm (Fall)
Class 1 TJ Reading – Aug 25, Sept 1, 8 & 15, 2017
Class 2 TJ Reading – Sept 22 & 29, Oct 6 &13, 2017
Class 3 TJ Reading – Oct 20 & 27, Nov 3 & 10, 2017
Session 1 – Learn the various reading comprehension strategies on different genres of passages that you will encounter in Reading-Aspire. Learn strategies on different types of questions: Key Ideas and Details, Craft and Structure, Integration of Knowledge and Ideas. Practice creating passage maps using the writers goals and techniques. Homework.
Session 2 – Constructed Responses strategies on paired text passages. Lessons on supporting your responses with evidence from the literary selections and expository selections. Homework.
Session 3 – Timing and pacing. Hands-on activities on time management and pacing. Read variety of passage genres, answer multiple choice items and constructed responses and discover ways to time and pace yourself. Please bring your Iphone, Ipad, laptop, MacBook or stopwatch for this session. Homework.
Session 4 – Reading-Aspire Mock Test. Discuss the results after the test and modify your learning plan.