This writing workshop will show some writing samples done by our past successful TJHSST applicants.
Some of the things your students will learn:
- How to align the TJ Mission Statements and Beliefs to your Student Portrait Sheet
- Analyze some essay drafts of our past successful TJ semifinalists
- How to highlight your strengths and use your limitations as strengths
- How to create a “niche” and highlight your uniqueness as an individual
- Distinguish differences between the “laundry list” and the details of your extracurricular activities
- How to make decisions on which actions to highlight
- Ideas, organization, voice, word choice, and sentence fluency flow of your statement
- How to answer short essay questions similar to college admission essays
- Strategies for writing quality essays
All enrolled students must submit a writing sample and provide a list of their extracurricular activities. All materials, timed essay prompts, resources, and Zoom links are available in our dashboard for enrolled students. You will create login information that your student needs to log in independently when you register.
Class Schedule for January 28, 2023, TJ Test Day
Live Zoom Online. All our materials, practice essay prompts, and class recordings will be available in our YSC dashboards. All students must answer the TJ retired writing prompt on the dashboard before the first session.
Summer – Six Tuesday evenings from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. August 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 & September 6, 2022. $595.
Fall – Six Tuesday evenings from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. October 4, 11, 18, 25, November 1 & 8, 2022. $595.
Winter – Six Tuesday evenings from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. November 29, December 6 & 13, 2022, January 10, 17 & 24, 2023. $595.
When checking out, please indicate your schedule preference in the “notes” section (i.e., Summer, Fall, or Winter).