In this writing workshop, we will show some writing samples done by our past successful TJHSST applicants.
Some of the things your students will learn:
- How to align the TJ Mission Statements and Beliefs to your Student Portrait Sheet.
- Analyze some Student Information Sheet (SIS) drafts of our past successful TJ semifinalists
- How to highlight your strengths and use your limitations as strengths
- How to create a “niche” and highlight your uniqueness as an individual
- Distinguish differences between the “laundry list” and the details of your extracurricular activities
- How to make decisions on which activities to highlight
- Ideas, organization, voice, word choice, and sentence fluency flow of your personal statement
- How to answer short essay questions similar to college admission essays
- Strategies on writing quality essays
We teach students strategies to reflect, organize and develop ideas on one’s own experiences in a narrative format; we also help students analyze varied reflective essays.
Class Schedule for January 29, 2022, TJ Test Day
Live Zoom Online. Maximum of 8 students per class. All sessions will be recorded and stored in the YSC student dashboards for those who miss a session or two. Class materials and practice essay questions are stored in the student dashboard.
Fall 1 – Six Tuesday afternoons from 5:00 to 7:00 pm. Nov 16, 23, 30, Dec 7, 14 & 21, 2021. 7 spots left.
Fall 2 – Six Wednesday afternoons from 4:30 to 6:30 pm. Nov 17, 24, Dec 1, 8, 15 & 22, 2021. 7 spots left.
Winter 1 – Three Tuesdays and Three Thursday evenings from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. Jan. 6, 11, 13, 18, 20 & 25, 2022. 6 spots left.