Fall 2018 Schedule
4 to 8 Saturdays from 4:00 to 6:00 pm
Class 1 – Dec 15, 22 & 29, 2018 and Jan 5, 2019
Class 2 – Jan 12, 21 (Monday) & 26, 2019 and Feb 2, 2019
Class 3 Crash Course (SIS and Problem Solving Essay) – Jan 19, 20, 21, 26, 27 & Feb 2, 2019 (4:00 to 6:00 pm, $780)
Fees must be paid in full at the time of enrollment to avail of the discounted price. Bring a fully charged laptop in classes at all times.
Class 1 only or Class 2 only is $595
Classes 1 & 2 are $990
Guidance in Student-Authored Information Sheet (SIS)
Do you know how to choose your extracurricular activities and accomplishments and align them with the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology mission and beliefs?
Learn how to write a powerful Student Information Sheet (SIS) and a personal statement. We confer with students individually to help them reflect on their achievements and activities. We teach using the authentic writing workshop process. This will prepare your students beyond the TJ test. It will enhance their writing skills.
The TJ admissions process is somewhat similar to college application. Your child will go through the same process when they apply for summer internships, scholarships, and college applications. The strategies that your student will learn from this will definitely go beyond the TJ admissions.
We recommend a minimum of 8 sessions.
Some of the things you will learn:
- Analyze the TJ SIS general scoring criteria
- Analyze some SIS drafts of our past successful TJ semifinalists
- How to highlight your strengths, and use your limitations as strengths
- How to create a “niche” and highlight your uniqueness as an individual
- Distinguish differences between the “laundry list” and the details of your extracurricular activities
- How to make decisions on which activities to highlight
- Ideas, organization, voice, word choice, and sentence fluency flow of your personal statement
- How to answer short essay questions similar to college admission essays
- Strategies on writing quality essays in 30 minutes
- How to write quality essays in two hours (1650 characters or 380 words)
Please bring a laptop, a notebook and list of activities/resume. Other than STEM activities, semifinalists need to have good writing skills. They need to learn which activities to highlight in the SIS.
Always bring a charged laptop in our classes.