Saturdays from 12:00 to 2:00 pm
- Class 1 – Nov 16, 23, 30 & Dec 7, 2019, $485
- Class 2 – Dec 14, 21 & 28, 2019 and Jan 4, 2020, $485
- Class 3 – Jan 11, 18 & 25, 2020 and Feb 1, 2020, $485
Sundays from 3:00 to 5:00 pm
- Class 1a – Nov 17, 24, Dec 1 & Dec 8, 2019, $485
- Class 2a – Dec 15, 22 & 29, 2019 and Jan 5, 2020, $485
- Class 3a – Jan 12, 19 & 26, 2020 and Feb 2, 2020, $485
One class only is $485.
$870 for two classes, save $100 on or before November 15, 2019. Add two of this product in your cart and enter the coupon code: 2smfinalist to save $100.
$1035 for three classes, save $150 on or before November 15, 2019. Add three of this product in your cart and enter the coupon code: 3smfinalist to save $150.
Guidance in Student-Authored Information Sheet (SIS) and Teacher Recommendation Brag Sheets
Do you know how to choose your extracurricular activities and accomplishments and align them with the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology mission and beliefs?
Learn how to write a powerful Student Information Sheet (SIS) and a personal statement. We confer with students individually to help them reflect on their achievements and activities. We teach using the authentic writing workshop process. This will prepare your students beyond the TJ test. It will enhance their writing skills.
The TJ admissions process is somewhat similar to college application. Your child will go through the same process when they apply for summer internships, scholarships, and college applications. The strategies that your student will learn from this will definitely go beyond the TJ admissions.
We recommend a minimum of 8 sessions.
Some of the things you will learn:
- Analyze the TJ SIS general scoring criteria
- Analyze some SIS drafts of our past successful TJ semifinalists
- How to highlight your strengths, and use your limitations as strengths
- How to create a “niche” and highlight your uniqueness as an individual
- Distinguish differences between the “laundry list” and the details of your extracurricular activities
- How to make decisions on which activities to highlight
- Ideas, organization, voice, word choice, and sentence fluency flow of your personal statement
- How to answer short essay questions similar to college admission essays
- Strategies on writing quality essays in 30 minutes
- How to write quality essays in two hours (1650 characters or 380 words)
Please bring a laptop, a notebook and list of activities/resume. Other than STEM activities, semifinalists need to have good writing skills. They need to learn which activities to highlight in the SIS.
Always bring a fully charged laptop in class or bring your charger with you.